My name is Fiona and I am the school chaplain for Coombabah State School. I'm currently employed for three days per week, under the federal government plan for this purpose.
The role of a school chaplain
- The school chaplain is a safe person for young people to connect with at school, providing a listening ear, caring presence, and message of hope.
- Chaplains care for students struggling with relationships, peer pressure and self-esteem issues, family breakdown, bullying, etc.
- Chaplains run positive, fun activities for young people, both in and out of school, and foster a supportive, caring school community.
- Chaplains provide support for students, staff and families from the wider school community.
- Chaplains foster partnerships between the school, local churches, businesses and community organizations, to provide a network of local support and assistance.
- Chaplains are available to attend school camps.
- Chaplains provide spiritual direction to the school community.
- Chaplains work alongside and in conjunction with the existing and growing support team within the school.
- Chaplains encourage a volunteering mindset, engaging students in activities within the community.
When is the chaplain available?
I am available all day Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.